الأحد، 19 يناير 2014

Additional Exercises on Unit 1 - Reach for the stars - تمارين إضافية على الوحدة الأولى

Additional Exercises on Unit 1
Reach for the stars
A- Vocabulary and Language notes
Choose the correct answer:
1-The car stopped because there was a (leak-lake-lick-lock) in the petrol tank.
2-Our air conditioning has broken down, but someone is coming to (destroy-spoil-pair-repair) it tomorrow.
3-The doctor (examined-looked-saw-watched) me carefully before he gave me the medicine.
4-The plane will take (on-down-after-off) at 7.30 in the morning.
5-Computer passwords should always be (known-public-secret-famous). You should never tell anyone.
6-The astronauts went on a two–hour space (walk-talk-swim-jump) to replace a broken fuel pump.
7-Some drivers have a sat-nav (order-steer-system-tool) in their car to help them find the best route.
8-The rocket is going to reach the Moon on Tuesday. Everyone watched the (launch-start-beginning-set up) on TV.
9-Space (fusions-miseries-professions-missions) can take several years.
10-The moon has less (degree-gravity-destiny-humidity) than the earth, so you could jump much higher there.
11-(Doing-Making-Having-Taking) gymnastics is a very good way of keeping fit.
12-Two of the (sticks-bars-tyres-spokes) on the front wheel of my bike were broken in the accident.
13-The (distance-area-space-way) between Cairo and London is 3, 5000 kilometers.
14-When you are (weighting-weight-weightless-weighty) in space, it must be very difficult to stand still.
15-(Currently-Current-Currency-Currencies) I’m working for important exams. Then, when I finish, I’m going on holiday.
16-Scientists are looking for ways (increase-increasing-of increasing-to increasing) our knowledge of the world.
17-There were ten (pilots-astronomers-astronauts-astrologers) on the spaceship Colombia.
18-The crew are planning a (four hour-four hours-four hour’s-four hours’) space walk to carry out the necessary repair work on the shuttle.
19-Space (exploration-explanation-expectation-exemption) cots a lot of money.
20-A lot of scientists are doing experiments to find a (solution-treatment-deal-reply) for swine flu.
21-The government has exerted great efforts to (reply-respond-solve-answer) the economic problem.
22-Give your (causes-results-effects-reasons) why you want to travel abroad.
23-Astronauts cope (up-for-by-with) weightlessness inside a spacecraft.
24-Have you ever seen a space shuttle at its (lunch-launch-punch-pinch)?
25-Astronauts float in space because of zero (degree-gravity-density-humidity).
26-Space cruisers will probably (orbit-wander-fly-move) the Earth at a height of 320 kilometres.
27-The manager (tested-looked-examined-glanced) the report in detail.
28-Doctors are worried that the new drug may have serious (side-inside-sides-aside) effects.
29-This map shows the exact (existence-destination-location-generation) of the project.
30-If your car breaks (out-into-through-down) you can use the mobile phone to get help.
31-Astronauts float in space because they are (weighty-weightless-weigh-way).
32-Ali has just (crossed-passed-succeeded-overcame) his driving test.
33-In 10 to 15 years people will be (queuing-rowing-lining-sitting) up to take their holidays in space.
34-Pollution is the (reason-cause-result-effect) of many dangerous diseases.
35-When I go to the cinema, I like to sit in the back (file-queue-line-row).
36-The plane will (reach-arrive-go-get) Aswan by 3 o’clock this afternoon.
37-I asked the garage to (make-do-get-have) repairs to the brakes on my car.
38-Space cruisers will probably orbit the Earth at a (high-highly-higher-height) of 320 kilometres.
39-Space tourists will be able to practise (weighting-weight-weightless-weighty) sports.
40-The doctor advised me not to take this medicine as it has nasty side (affects-effects-affections-effective).
41-Astronauts (float-swim-sleep-wait) in space as they are weightless.
42-This airline flies to many (goals-aims-destinations-positions) around the world.
43-I think there's a problem (of-at-for-with) my internet connection.
44-When you are (countless-weightless-harmless-endless) in space, it must be very difficult to stand still.
45-A space station will (turn-spin-move-orbit) the Earth.
46-Some people have benefited more (for-by-from-with) this TV programme than others.
47-It's still not possible to accurately (predict-protect-prevent-protest) when earthquakes take place.
48-Gymnastics and football are two sports that people can (do-make-act-create) in space.
49-I don't think you understand the (serious-dangerous-gravity-seriously) of the situation.
50-The manager tried hard to (improve-repair-fix-prove) conditions for factory workers.
Find the mistake in each of the following sentences, then write it correctly:
1-The astronaut is travelling into space to destroy the International Space Station.
2-Gratitude is what makes objects fall to the ground.
3-The plane is flying at a high of 150 kilometres.
4-I’ve just crossed my driving test.
5-The space station will be turning the Earth at a height of 320 km.
6-The electrician will make repairs on my TV.
7-You can take this medicine. It has no side affects.
8-In the next ten years, people will be rowing to book their holidays in space.
9-Space tourists can make weightless sports in space.
10-Travelling from Alex to Cairo is only a two hours drive in a car.
11-Gymnastics are a sport in which physical exercises and movements are performed.
12-The car licked oil all over the drive.
(9)
13-His submission is to isolate the enemy by destroying all the bridges across the river.
14-Under our education order, you can choose the type of schooling that your child receives.
15-Some of the speaks of my bicycle wheel are broken.
16-They have just spent £1.9 million at improving their computer network.
17-July 2009 was the 40th university of man first walking on the moon.
18-Thank you on your invitation which I accept with pleasure.
19-I’m looking forward to spend my holiday in Greece.
20-Modern technology has proved people’s lives over the last 50 years.

B-Grammar

Choose the correct answer:
1-It’s arranged. We (are going-will go-go-shall go) to the Red Sea this summer.
2-I think my brother (is-is going to be-is being-will be) a doctor. He’s very clever.
3-My lesson (finishes-is finishing-is going to finish-was finishing) at four o’clock this afternoon.
4-I (meet-am meeting-will meet-is going to meet) a friend from Cairo on Monday. I’ve arranged that.
5-He (will fly-is going to fly-is flying-will be flying) to London tomorrow. He’s got his ticket.
6-You (will break-would break-have broken-should break) it if you aren’t careful.
7-We won’t start the meeting until you (arrives-had arrived-will arrive-arrive).
8-The concert this evening (starts-will start-is starting-is going to start) at 7.
9-We (start-have started-will start-started) the meeting as soon as he arrives.
10-When he (visits-will visit-visiting-visit) me tomorrow, I’ll tell him all about my new book.
11-I think it (will rain-is going to rain-is raining-rains). The sky is cloudy.
12-A: The phone is ringing.
      B: I (answer-am going to answer-am answering-will answer) it.
13-(Are you playing-Do you play-Shall you play-Do you go to play) tennis   after school today?
14-We (have-are having-were having-would have) a party next Saturday. Would you like to come?
15-I’ve decided that I (will tidy-tidy-am tidying-am going to tidy) my room this morning.

Find the mistake in each of the following sentences, then write it correctly:
1-As soon as he will finish the project, he will go abroad.
2-I’ll leave until he comes.                  
3-When I find somewhere to live, I would give you my address.
4-I need to get fit, so I’ve made a decision. I do more exercise.
5-I expect he is going to pass the exam.
6-Perhaps it is raining tomorrow.
7-I hope he is getting better soon.
8-Look at those black clouds. It will rain.
9-I feel terrible. I think I’ll be sick.
10-The film is starting at 7.30.

C-General exercise on the unit

Choose the correct answer from a, b, c or d:
1-After the accident, the doctor …………… examined her to check she was injured.
a) examined    b) looked at    c) tested        d) studied
2-This medicine is safe. There are no ……………………….
a) top effects    b) side effects    c) leaks        d) waste
3-The ……………… between Cairo and my town is 650 kilometres.
a) way        b) area        c) distance    d) space
4-It is hard to walk in space because there is no …………………….
a) gravity        b) waiting        c) spin        d) air
5-Space cruisers will probably ……………… the Earth at a height of 320 kilometres.
a) wander        b) orbit        c) move        d) fly
6-When he arrived at the bus stop, he saw a number of people ……………… to take the bus.
a) queuing    b) creeping    c) crawling    d) quarrelling
7-This place is not a suitable ……………… for a supermarket.
a) extraction    b) location    c) destination    d) station
8-Millions of people watched the rocket ……………… on TV.
a) start        b) launch        c) set off        d) beginning
9-I expect I …………… you at the weekend.
a) ‘m going to see    b) ‘m seeing    c) ‘ll see        d) see
10-I’m having lunch with friends tomorrow. We ………… at the restaurant at 12.30.
a) going to meet    b) will meet    c) are meeting    d) meet
11-Don’t worry. I’m sure you ……………… them again soon.
a) ‘re going to see    b) ‘re seeing    c) ‘ll see        d) see
12-She ……………… an archaeologist when she leaves university. That’s her plan.
a) is going to become b) am becoming    c) will become    d) becomes
13-He’s flying to London at the weekend. His flight ………… at 5.30 in the morning.
a) is leaving    b) leaves        c) will leave    d) left
14-My sister …………………… at six tomorrow morning.
a) arrives        b) arrived        c) has arrived    d) was arrived
15-She …………………… to London next spring.
a) has travelled    b) travelled    c) travels        d) is travelling
16-The film ……………… at 7.30 this evening.
a) is going to start    b) will start    c) is starting    d) starts       
4-Find the mistake in each of the following sentences, then write it correctly:
1-I fixed the lake in the petrol tank.
2-The prisoner escaped through a sacred passage underneath the building.
3-The Director is current having talks in the USA.
4-She’s going meet her sister in Paris.
5-I’ve decided that I’m doing more exercise in future.
6-It’s a really good film. I’m sure you enjoy it.

0 التعليقات:

إرسال تعليق