الأحد، 16 مارس 2014

The prisoner of Zenda - Chapter 5 - Translated مترجم

The Prisoner of Zenda
Chapter 5 - Translated
I was not sorry to say goodbye to my brother and his soldier friends, although I was sad to say goodbye to the Princess. Should I tell her the truth? Was I wrong to pretend to be the King? I did not know.
"Rudolf, be careful, won't you?" the Princess said.
"Be careful of what?" I asked.
"I can't say. But think what your life means to the people of Ruritania," she said.

لم أكن آسفا أن أقول وداعا لأخي وأصدقاءه الجنود، على الرغم من أنني كنت حزينا أن أقول وداعا للأميرة. هل يجب أن أقول لها الحقيقة؟ هل كنت مخطئا أن أتظاهر بأنني أنا الملك ؟ لم أكن أعرف , قالت الأميرة " رودولف  , كن حذرا ، هل تفعل ؟". سألتها " أحذر من ماذا؟ " قالت " لا يمكنني أن أقول ، ولكن فكر فى ما تعنى حياتك لشعب روريتانيا "

I remembered what Rose had said about my brother Robert back in England: "He realises his position in society brings with it responsibilities." I had always wanted to have a quiet life, but I suddenly realised how many responsibilities I now had here in Ruritania. How on earth had I got myself into such a situation?

تذكرت ما قالته روز عن أخي روبرت عند عودته لإنجلترا,  " إنه يدرك أن مركزه في المجتمع يجلب معه المسؤوليات" .أردت دائما أن أعيش حياة هادئة، ولكنني أدركت فجأة كم المسؤوليات التي لدى الآن هنا في روريتانيا. يا الهي  كيف وضعت نفسي في مثل هذا الموقف ؟

Over the next few weeks, I am pleased to say that no one seemed to notice I was not the real King of Ruritania. Because I looked so like the King, it was much easier for me to pretend to be him than to pretend to me by neighbour at home, for example. I learnt a lot about how a country is run, but I made mistakes, sometimes big ones. I became very good at pretending I had forgotten rules or people that I had met, and I hoped my growing popularity with the people of Ruritania would help them to forgive my occasional bad decisions.

خلال الأسابيع القليلة المقبلة، يسرني أن أقول أنه لا يبدو أن أحدا قد لاحظ أنني لست الملك الحقيقي لروريتانيا. لأنني كنت شديد الشبه جدا بالملك ، وكان من الأسهل لي كثيرا أن أتظاهر أنني الملك أكثر من التظاهر بكونى أنا أمام جارى فى البيت ، فعلى سبيل المثال. تعلمت الكثير عن كيفية إدارة بلد ، لكنني ارتكبت أخطاء، وأحيانا أخطاء كبيرة. و أصبحت بارعا جدا في التظاهر بأننى نسيت قواعد أو أشخاص قابلتهم ، وتمنيت أن  شعبيتي المتزايدة بين شعب روريتانيا ستساعدهم على أن يتسامحوا على قراراتي السيئة العارضة .

One day, Sapt came into my room. "Here's a letter for you," he said. "From the writing, I think it's from a woman. I also have some important news." "What is it?" I asked."We now know that the King's at the Castle of Zenda," he said. "How do you know this?"

ذات يوم دخل سابت حجرتى و قال لى : "هذا خطاب لك , ومن الكتابة أعتقد أنه من امرأة , و أنا أيضا عندي بعض الأخبار الهامة فسألته " ما هى ؟ " قال " نحن نعرف الآن أن الملك فى قلعة زندا . " سألته " كيف عرفت هذا ؟ "   

"We asked where the rest of the Six Men were, and found out that they are all there at the castle: Lauengram, Krafstein and young Rupert Hentzau, the three biggest criminals in Ruritania."
"Do you think the King's definitely there?" I asked.
"Almost certainly. The three men are always at the castle, and people say the drawbridge is nearly always kept up. That is not normal. No one goes into the building without the permission of Rupert or Michael."

" نحن سألنا عن المكان الذي كان فيه باقي الرجال الستة , واكتشفنا أنهم كلهم هناك في القلعة , : لوينجرام و كرافستين و روبرت هنتزو الشاب , أكبر ثلاثة مجرمين في روريتانيا
فقلت له " هل تعتقد أن الملك هناك بالتأكيد؟"
فقال " "تقريبا مؤكد , الرجال الثلاثة دائما في القلعة، ويقول الناس أن الجسر متحرك يحتفظون به مرفوعا بصفة شبه دائمة , وهذا شيء غير عادي. ولا أحد يدخل المبنى بدون إذن من روبرت أو مايكل."

"Then I must go to Zenda," I said.
"That wouldn't be a good idea."
"If not today, then soon. I must go there."
"You'll probably stay there forever if you do," said Sapt.
I was silent and I could see that Sapt was studying my face.

فقلت "إذا , فيجب أن أذهب إلى زندا" .
"وهذه لن تكون فكرة جيدة."
 "إذا لم يكن اليوم، أو في وقت قريب. فلا بد لي من الذهاب إلى هناك."
و قال سابت "من المحتمل أن تبقى هناك إلى الأبد إذا قمت بذلك،"
كنت صامتا , وكنت أرى أن سابت يدرس وجهي.

"What's worrying you, Rassendyll?" he asked.
"Tell me, Sapt, why is it that wherever I go in the capital, I'm followed by six people?"
"Because I've ordered them to follow you."
"But why?"
"It would be very useful for Michael if you disappeared. And if you disappear, the game's over."

و سألني قائلا "ما الذي يقلقك يا راسندل؟".
فقلت له "أخبرني يا سابت، لماذا الأمر هكذا عندما أذهب إلى العاصمة يتبعنى ستة أشخاص ؟"
فقال"لأنني أمرتهم أن يتبعوك."
فقلت"ولكن لماذا؟"
فقال"سيكون من المفيد جدا لمايكل إذا إختفيت , وإذا أنت اختفيت ستنتهي اللعبة ."

"I don't need such help," I protested. "I can look after myself."
"De Gautet, Bersonin and Detchard are in Strelsau, and anyone of them could catch you easily," he said, as if I were a child. "So, what's that letter?" said Sapt, pointing at the one he had given me.
I opened it and read it aloud:

 " أنا لست بحاجة إلى مثل هذه المساعدة،" .اعترضت   "فأنا أستطيع الاعتناء بنفسي."
"ان  دى جوتيه ، وبيرسونين و ديتشارد في  ستيرسلو، وكل واحد منهم يمكنه القبض عليك بسهولة " قال كما لو أنني طفل " إذن، ماهذه الرسالة؟"
قال سابت مشيرا إلى الشخص الذي أعطانى الخطاب 
وفتحتها وقراءتها بصوت عال

If the King wants to know something important, please do what I ask. At the end of New Avenue, there is a house in a large garden. There is a wall around the garden with a gate at the back. At midnight tonight, go through the gate where you will see a statue of a horse, turn right and walk twenty metres. There you will find six steps up to a summer house. Go into this summer house and someone will tell you something very important about your life. But you must be alone. If you do not come, your life will be in danger. I am a loyal friend to you. Do not show this letter to anyone, or it will put a woman in great danger: Michael will punish me.
:
إذا كان الملك يريد أن يعرف شيئا مهما، أرجوك أن تفعل ما أطلبه .يوجد في نهاية " نيو أفينيو "  يوجد منزل في حديقة كبيرة. ويوجد سور حول الحديقة له بوابة في الخلف . و في منتصف هذه الليلة إذهب من خلال البوابة إلى المكان الذي سترى فيه تمثال لحصان، إتجه إلى اليمين وامشي عشرين مترا. وهناك سوف تجد ست درجات تصعد إلى منزل صيفي . أدخل في هذا البيت الصيفي و سوف يخبرك شخص ما بشيء مهم جدا عن حياتك . ولكن يجب أن تكون بمفردك. و إذا لم تأتي سوف تكون حياتك في خطر. أنا صديقا مخلصا لك . لا تظهر هذه الرسالة لأي شخص ، و الا سوف تعرض إمرأة لخطر كبير: و مايكل سيعاقبني .

"Yes, and Michael can also write a very good letter," said Sapt.
I thought the same: surely Michael had written this letter to trap me. I was about to throw the letter in the bin, when I saw that there was more writing on the other side.
If you do not believe me, ask Colonel Sapt.
"What?" said the Colonel, so I read on.
Ask him what woman has been a guest of the Duke. Ask if her name begins with A.
"It must be Antoinette de Mauban," I cried.
"How do you know?" asked Sapt, and I told him all I knew about the woman.

وقال سابت."نعم، ويمكن أن يكتب مايكل أيضا رسالة جيدة جدا"،
و اعتقدت أنا نفس الشيء : بالتأكيد قد كتب مايكل هذه الرسالة لكي ينصب لى فخا . وكنت على وشك أن ألقي الرسالة في سلة المهملات ،عندما رأيت أن هناك كتابة أكثر مكتوبة على الجانب الآخر .
 إذا كنت لا تصدقني، فسأل العقيد سابت.
وقال العقيد "ماذا؟" ، لذلك واصلت القراءة :
أسأله أى إمرأة كانت ضيفة  للدوق . أسأله إذا كان اسمها يبدأ بحرف الـ A.
فصحت قائلا "من المؤكد أن تكون هذه المرأة هي  أنطوانيت دي موبان".
فسأل سابت "كيف عرفت ذلك ؟" , فقلت له كل ما عرفته عن المرأة.

"I've heard that she came to Ruritania with her servants as a guest of Michael," Sapt said. "People say she had a great argument with Michael, and now she's staying somewhere in Strelsau."
"So she could be useful to us," I suggested.
"Perhaps she would be useful if she had information about Michael. However, I believe that Michael wrote that letter," said Sapt.
"So do I, but I'm not certain," I said. "I'll go to the house tonight."
"No, you mustn't," said Sapt. "Let me go instead."
"You can come too, but you must wait outside the gate when I go in alone."

و قال سابت "لقد سمعت أنها جاءت لروريتانيا مع خدمها كضيفة عند مايكل"،  "ويقول الناس أنها جادلت مايكل جدالا كبيرا , والآن هي تقيم في مكان ما في سترلسو".
و اقترحت قائلا "إذا, باستطاعتها أن تكون مفيدة بالنسبة لنا،".
قال سابت."ربما ستكون مفيدة لو كان لديها معلومات عن مايكل، و مع ذلك , فأنا أعتقد أن مايكل كتب تلك الرسالة،" .
فقلت " و أنا كذلك ، ولكنني لست متأكدا، سأذهب إلى المنزل هذه الليلة."
قال سابت "لا، لايجب عليك , دعني أنا أذهب بدلا منك ."
فقلت " يمكنك أن تأتي أيضا، ولكن يجب عليك أن تنتظر خارج البوابة عندما أدخل أنا بمفردي."

"I don't believe this woman and you're mad to go!" said Sapt.
"I believe this woman, and I will go," I said. "Either I go to the house, or I go back to England. We don't have much time. Every day we leave the King imprisoned there's more danger. We must move quickly," I said.
Sapt was beginning to know when he could tell me what to do and when he could not. So reluctantly he agreed with me.

قال سابت " أنا لا اصدق هذه المرأة وأنت مجنون لتقرر الذهاب !".
قلت  " أنا اصدق هذه المرأة، وسوف أذهب،" وقلت " إما أن أذهب إلى المنزل، أو أعود إلى إنجلترا، ليس لدينا الكثير من الوقت . كل يوم نترك الملك سجينا فان هناك المزيد من الخطر، يجب أن نتحرك بسرعة،".
وبدأ سابت يدرك متى يمكنه أن يقول لي ما يجب أن أفعله ومتى لا يمكنه ذلك. لذا مترددا وافقنى .

At half past eleven that night, we got on our horses and soon arrived outside the gate to the house, carrying our guns. It was a very dark night.
''I'll wait for you here, outside the gate," said Sapt. "Good luck."
I opened the gate and I found myself in a leafy garden. I saw the statue of the horse and walked across the garden with the gun in my hand. I followed the directions given in the letter and, although it was dark, I soon arrived at the summer house. When I went inside, I heard a woman's voice.

وفي الساعة الحادية عشرة والنصف تلك الليلة، ركبنا خيولنا وسرعان ما وصلنا خارج بوابة المنزل، حاملين أسلحتنا , كانت ليلة مظلمة جدا
قال لي سابت '' سأنتظرك هنا، خارج البوابة" " حظا سعيدا
فتحت البوابة ووجدت نفسي في حديقة مورقة. ورأيت تمثال الحصان ومشيت عبر الحديقة ومسدسي في يدي. تابعت التوجيهات التي أعطيت لى فى الرسالة، وعلى الرغم من الظلام، سرعان ما وصلت إلى المنزل الصيفى . وعندما دخلت سمعت صوت امرأة

"Shut the door," the woman whispered. I did as she asked and then looked around the room, which was lit by a small candle. It was almost empty except for a small iron table and two chairs. In the soft light, I could just see Antoinette in front of me and her servant behind.
"We have little time," Antoinette said. "Listen! I know who you are and I know you're not the King. You're Mr. Rassendyll. I wrote that letter to you at the Duke's orders. In twenty minutes, three men will be here to kill you."

"أغلق الباب"، همست المرأة . فعلت كما طلبت ثم نظرت فى أرجاء الغرفة، التي كانت مضاءة بواسطة شمعة صغيرة. كانت الغرفة خالية تقريبا فيما عدا منضدة حديدية صغيرة وكرسيين. وفى هذا الضوء الخافت أمكننى أن أرى إنطوانيت أمامى ومن خلفها خادمتها.
"لدينا القليل من الوقت"، قالت إنطوانيت  " اسمع ! أعرف من أنت وأعلم أنك لست الملك. أنت السيد راسندل. كتبت لك تلك الرسالة بأمر من الدوق . خلال عشرين دقيقة سيكون هنا ثلاثة رجال لقتلك".

"Or I'll kill them! I suppose they're three of the Duke's Six Men?"
"Yes, you must leave here before they arrive, so listen carefully! The plan is to kill you and to take your body into the old town. It'll be found and Michael will arrest Colonel Sapt and Captain Fritz von Tarlenheim for murdering you. Then a messenger will be sent to Zenda and the real King will be murdered too. The Duke will then become King. Do you understand?"

" أو سأقتلهم أنا ! أظن أنهم ثلاثة من رجال الدوق الستة "
"نعم، يجب أن تغادر هذا المكان قبل أن يصلوا ، لذا إصغى بعناية! الخطة هي قتلك ، وأخذ جثتك إلى البلدة القديمة. سوف يتم العثور عليها وسيقوم مايكل بالقبض على  سابت وكابتن فريتزفون تارلنهيم بتهمة قتلك. ثم يتم إرسال رسول إلى زندا و يقتل الملك الحقيقي أيضا. حينئذ سوف يصبح الدوق هو الملك. هل فهمت؟ "

"Oh, yes, I understand. It's a clever plan. But why are you helping me?"
"I don't like to see people being killed. Now go. But remember, you're never safe in this city. You have guards following you, don't you? Well, Michael's men are following them. If you're alone, then you'll die. Now go quietly this way past the summer house for about a hundred metres. There you'll find a ladder against the wall. Climb it and run as fast as you can."

" نعم، أفهم. أنها خطة بارعة، ولكن لماذا تساعديني؟"
" لا أحب أن أرى أشخاصا يقتلون ,  أذهب الآن. ولكن تذكر، انك لست آمنا أبدا في هذه المدينة. لديك حراس يراقبونك ، أليس كذلك؟ حسنا، رجال مايكل يراقبونهم ، إذا أصبحت وحدك هنا سوف يقتلونك , الآن اذهب بهدوء من هذا الطريق المجاور للمنزل الصيفى لما يقرب من مائة متر، وهناك ستجد سلم على الجدار. تسلقه ثم إجرى بأسرع ما يمكنك "

"And what will you do?"
"I also have a game to play. I'll tell the Duke's men that you never came. If the Duke doesn't find out what I've done, we may meet again."
"Thank you. You've helped the King tonight," I said. "But before I go, tell me something: Do you know where he is in the castle?"
"Yes, I do know. Inside the castle there's a door on the right, and behind that – but listen! They're here! It's too late for you to escape!"

"وماذا ستفعلين؟"
" أنا أيضا لدي لعبة ألعبها . سأقول لرجال الدوق انك لم تأتى ، وإذا لم يكتشف الدوق ما فعلته، ربما أراك مرة أخرى."
"شكرا لك. لقد ساعدتى الملك هذه الليلة،". قلت لها " لكن قبل أن أذهب، أخبرينى بشئ : هل تعرفين أين هو في القلعة؟"
"نعم، أعرف بالتأكيد . داخل القلعة هناك باب على اليمين، ووراء ذلك ... ولكن اسمع إنهم هنا فات الأوان بالنسبة لك للهروب

I looked through a gap in the summer house door and saw three men standing outside. Then I heard a voice, which spoke in English:
"Are you in there, Mr. Rassendyll?"
I did not answer. "We want to make you an offer," the voice said. "Will you let us in?"
"Do not trust them," said Antoinette quietly.
"Stand outside and talk," I called. "I won't let you in."
"That's a good idea," said the voice, who I thought must be Detchard.

نظرت من خلال فجوة في باب المنزل الصيفى ورأيت ثلاثة رجال يقفون بالخارج. ثم سمعت صوتا، الذى تحدث بالانجليزية:
"هل أنت هناك، يا سيد راسندل؟"
لم أرد عليهم. "نحن نريد أن نقدم لك عرضا،".قال الصوت "هل تسمح لنا بالدخول؟"
قالت انطونيت بهدوء "لا تثق بهم"،
قلت للصوت "قف بالخارج وتحدث فلن أسمح لك بالدخول."
"هذه فكرة جيدة،". قال الصوت الذي اعتقدت انه بالتأكيد ديتشارد

"Is that Mr. Detchard?" I asked.
"Our names are not important. We can offer you a safe journey to the border and fifty thousand English pounds," he continued.
"That sounds a generous offer," I said, but of course I did not trust them at all. "Give me a minute to think." Then I told Antoinette and her servant to stand close to the wall, away from the door. "What are you going to do?" Antoinette asked. "You'll see."

سالت "هل أنت السيد ديتشارد؟".
واصل الحديث " أسماءنا ليست مهمة، نحن يمكن أن نقدم لك رحلة آمنة إلى الحدود وخمسين ألف جنيه انجليزى"،.
"هذا يبدو عرضا سخيا،" قلت ولكن بالطبع لم أثق بهم على الإطلاق. " أعطني دقيقة للتفكير." ثم قلت لأنطونيت وخادمتها أن يقفا قرب الجدار، بعيدا عن الباب. سألت أنطونيت "ما الذي تنوي القيام به؟" فقلت لها . "سترين".

I picked up the iron table and held it by the legs so it was in front of me. Then I said, "Gentlemen, I'd like to accept your kind offer. Perhaps you can open the door for me."
"Why don't you open the door yourself?" said Detchard.
"Very well, but it opens outwards," I explained. "You'll need to step back or the door will hit you."
I pretended to try and open the door, and called out, "I can't open it."
"Then I'll open it," called Detchard.
As Detchard was walking up to the door, I moved quietly to the back of the summer house. It took him a few seconds to open the door, but as soon as he did, I ran at him as fast as I could holding the table in front of me.

التقطت المنضدة الحديدية ورفعتها من الأرجل، وبهذا كانت أمامي. ثم قلت " أيها السادة، أود قبول عرضكم الكريم , ربما يمكنكم أن تفتحوا الباب لي "
قال ديتشارد "ولماذا لاتفتح الباب بنفسك؟"
"حسنا جدا، ولكنه يفتح إلى الخارج"، أوضحت لهم  "ستحتاجون إلى التراجع وإلا سوف يصطدم الباب بكم."
تظاهرت بأنني أحاول فتح الباب، وناديتهم بصوت عالي "لا يمكنني فتحه."
فقال ديتشارد "إذن سوف أفتحه أنا ".
وبينما كان ديتشارد يتقدم إلى الباب، تحركت بهدوء إلى الجزء الخلفي من المنزل الصيفى . استغرق الأمر منه بضع ثوان لفتح الباب، ولكن بمجرد أن فتحه، جريت نحوه بأسرع ما يمكننى رافعا النضدة الحديدية أمامي .

There was a terrible noise as all three men fired their guns at once, but I was protected by the table top. The men were all standing on the steps up to the summer house, so as I ran out, the table top hit them and they all fell down the steps. Before I knew what was happening, I too was falling down the steps, but as I was on top of the men, I managed to get up fastest and run away, firing my gun behind me.
There were angry shouts and more shots. I remembered what Antoinette had said about a ladder and soon found it and climbed over the wall in seconds. Running along the outside of the wall, I heard more shots but realised they were being fired by Sapt, who was trying to get into the gate.

كان هناك ضجيجا رهيبا عندما أطلق الرجال الثلاثة نيرانهم فى الحال، ولكنني كنت محمي بسطح المنضدة, كان الرجال جميعا واقفين على الدرجات المؤدية للمنزل الصيفى , ولذلك بينما كنت أندفع خارجا صدمهم سطح المنضدة وسقطوا جميعا أسفل الدرجات . وقبل أن أدرك ماكان يحدث وجدت نفسي أيضا اسقط أسفل الدرجات ولكن لأننى كنت فوق الرجال نجحت فى أن أنهض بأقصى سرعة وأهرب ، مطلقا نيران مسدسى خلفى .
كان هناك  صيحات غاضبة ومزيد من الطلقات النارية. تذكرت ما قالته أنطوانيت عن السلم وسرعان ما وجدته وتسلقت من فوق الجدارفى ثوان، وأنا أجرى على إمتداد السور فى الخارج سمعت طلقات أكثر ولكنى أدركت أنها كانت تطلق من قبل سابت، الذي كان يحاول الوصول إلى البوابة.

"Sapt! It's me, let's go!" I shouted. "You're safe!" he cried in surprise.
"I have a fine story to tell you about a table!" I told him, as we jumped on our horses and rode quickly back to the palace.

 "سابت! أنه أنا، هيا نذهب!" صحت فيه . فصرخ مندهشا "أنت آمن!"
"لدي قصة جميلة لأقصها عليك تتعلق بمنضدة!" قلت له ونحن نقفز على ظهرخيولنا ونركبها بسرعة عائدين إلى القصر . 

The next day, Sapt read me the latest report from the Chief of Police.
"Some interesting things have been happening this morning," said Sapt. "The police report says that the Duke of Strelsau left the capital by the road to Zenda. An hour later, he was followed by De Gautet, Bersonin and Detchard, who had a bandage around his arm,"
I was pleased that my shot the night before had been a good one.

وفي اليوم التالي، قرءا  لي سابت آخر تقرير من رئيس الشرطة.
قال سابت " بعض الأشياء المثيرة للاهتمام كانت تحدث هذا الصباح " " تقرير الشرطة يقول أن دوق ستريلسو غادر العاصمة فى طريق إلى زندا. وبعد ساعة، عاد يتبعه كل من دي جاتت  ،برسونين وديتشارد ، الذي كان يضع ضمادة حول ذراعه"
كنت سعيدا بأن طلقتي الليلة الماضية كانت طلقة صائبة

"Finally, listen to this: the people of the capital are not happy that the King has yet to marry the Princess. Some people say that if they do not marry soon, it would be better if the Princess married the Duke of Strelsau. However, the King is having a ball tonight for the Princess."
"I don't know anything about a ball," I said.
"Oh, it has all been prepared," said Fritz, "by me."
"Listen," said Sapt. "You must ask the Princess to marry you tonight."
"I can't do that," I said. "It wouldn't be fair to the Princess."

وتابع سابت حديثه قائلا"وأخيرا، استمع إلى هذا: شعب العاصمة ليس سعيدا لأن الملك لم يتزوج الأميرة بعد ويقول البعض أنه إذا لم يتزوجا قريبا، سيكون من الأفضل إذا تزوجت الأميرة دوق.ستريلسو ، ومع ذلك , فان الملك سيقيم حفلة رقص للأميرة الليلة ".
قلت له "أنا لا أعرف أي شيء عن حفلة رقص ".
قال فريتز"أوه، لقد تم إعداد كل شئ لها بواسطتى "
"اسمع " قال سابت " يجب أن تطلب من الأميرة الزواج منك الليلة."
"لا أستطيع أن أفعل ذلك " قلت له " فلن يكون هذا عدلا بالنسبة للأميرة ".

That evening, the ball was a great success. After we had eaten, I sat with the Princess and some of my other guests in a small room by the palace gardens. The servants brought us coffee and we had time to talk.
"You've been King for a few weeks now," said the Princess, "Everyone says you've done a very good job. I'm very pleased for you."
"You know, someone once said to me, 'a person who has a position in society has responsibilities.' Recently I've realised how true this is."

فى ذلك المساء حققت حفلة الرقص نجاحا كبيرا .وبعد أن تناولنا الطعام ، جلست مع الأميرة وبعض ضيوفي الآخرين في غرفة صغيرة بجوار حدائق القصر. وأحضرالخدم لنا القهوة وكان لدينا وقت للحديث .
" كنت ملكا لعدة أسابيع الآن " قالت الأميرة " وكل شخص يقول أنك أديت عملا طيبا  وأنا سعيدة لك ". ،
قلت لها "تعرفين , ذات مرة قال لي أحدهم إن الشخص الذي لديه وظيفة في المجتمع لديه مسؤوليات ومؤخرا أدركت كم هذا حقيقى

"Haven't you always thought that?" asked the Princess.
"No, when I was younger, I didn't think I needed to worry about society, I thought that was someone else's job,"
The Princess looked very surprised. "But you always knew that you would become King. How could you think that was someone else's job?" ".

سألتني الأميرة "الم تعتقد دائما في ذلك؟".
قلت لها " لا , عندما كنت صغيرا ، لم أكن أعتقد أنني بحاجة للقلق بشأن المجتمع، إعتقدت أنها مهمة شخص آخر،"
بدت الأميرة مندهشة جدا . وقالت " لكنك كنت دائما تعلم أنك ستصبح الملك. فكيف يمكن أن تعتقد أن العمل مهمة شخص آخر؟"

Once again, I had made a mistake in what I said. But suddenly, instead of saying something to cover up my mistake, I wanted to tell the Princess the truth. She was kind and clever and she was going to marry the King. She should know what had happened to her future husband, and she should know all about my game. I decided I had to tell her everything.

مرة ثانية ، ارتكبت خطأ في ما قلته. ولكن فجأة، وبدلا من أن أقول شيئا يغطى غلطتى ، أردت أن أقول للأميرة الحقيقة. كانت عطوفة وذكية وكانت ستتزوج الملك . يجب أن تعرف ما حدث لزوجها المستقبلى ، ويجب أن تعرف كل شيء عن لعبتى . قررت أنني لابد أن أقول لها كل شيء.

"Flavia," I said quietly, so none of the other guests could hear, "there's something you should know. I'm not really …... "
But I never finished the words I wanted to say because at that moment, we heard footsteps in the garden outside the room. I looked up and jumped with fright, because a face suddenly appeared at the French window.
"فلافيا " قلت لها بهدوء حتى لا يسمع احد من الضيوف الآخرين " هناك شيء يجب أن تعرفيه، أنا لست حقا ..... ..."
ولكنى لم أكمل الكلمات التى أردت أن أقولها لأنه في تلك اللحظة، سمعنا صوت خطوات في الحديقة خارج الغرفة. نظرت إلى أعلى وقفزت فى فزع ، لأن وجها ظهر فجأة عند النافذة .

I relaxed when I saw that the person looking in on us was Sapt. "I apologise, but there's someone who wants to see you, sir," he said to me, but I could tell from his eyes that he was angry. How long had he been listening to my conversation with the Princess? Had he heard that I was about to tell her the truth about who I really was?

وإسترخيت عندما رأيت أن الشخص الذي كان ينظر إلينا من النافذة هو سابت. " أعتذر، ولكن هناك شخص يريد أن يراك ، يا سيدي،"  قال لي، ولكن أمكنني أن أدرك من عينيه انه كان غاضبا. كم من الوقت وهو ينصت لمحادثتى مع الأميرة؟ و هل سمع أنني كنت على وشك أن أخبرها الحقيقة عن من أكون أنا حقا ؟

We returned to the ball where the Princess went quickly away with her servants and I was welcomed by other important people at the ball. I realised then that my game had gone too far to go back: I could not tell anyone who I really was or they would think I was mad. Sapt had stopped me from saying too much to the Princess, and Sapt's plan really was working.

عدنا إلى الحفل الراقص حيث أسرعت الأميرة بالمغادرة مع خدمها وتم الترحيب بى من قبل بعض الشخصيات الهامة فى الحفل . وأدركت حينئذ أننى قد مضيت فى لعبتى إلى حد بعيد يستحيل التراجع عنه : لم يمكننى أن اخبر أي شخص من أكون حقا وإلا سيعتقدون أنني مجنون. لقد منعني سابت من التحدث كثيرا مع الأميرة، وقد كانت خطته حقا ناجحة .

The next morning, Sapt and I sat in my room thinking about what to do next.
"Do you realise," I said, "that everyone really thinks I'm the King, even the Princess? I could even arrange for the Duke and the real King to be killed."
"This is all true," said Sapt. "So will you do such a thing?"
"Of course not. I shouldn't be here, pretending to be anything. It isn't fair for the people of Ruritania and it isn't fair for the Princess, either. We can't wait any longer," I said. "We must go to Zenda and rescue the King."

وفي صباح اليوم التالي جلست ، أنا وسابت في غرفتي لنفكر فيما يجب القيام به بعد ذلك.
"هل تدرك , " قلت له " أن الجميع يعتقد حقا أنني الملك، حتى الأميرة؟ إنني يمكنني حتى أن ارتب لقتل كلا من الدوق والملك الحقيقي معا "
"هذا كله صحيح " قال سابت "إذن هل ستفعل مثل هذا الشيء؟"
"بالطبع لا. لا ينبغي أن أكون هنا متاظاهرا باننى لا شئ ، ، فليس ذلك من العدل لشعب روريتانيا كما انه ليس من العدل للأميرة،" قلت له "لا يمكننا الانتظار أكثر من ذلك، يجب أن نذهب إلى زندا وننقذ الملك."

"You're a good man," said Sapt.
First, however, I needed to see Princess Flavia again. If I could not tell her the truth, I could at least warn her that the situation in Ruritania was not as good as she believed it to be. I visited her in her palace later that day, and she asked her servants to bring me some coffee. Then she told me that she had received two letters. One was from Michael, who had invited her to visit Zenda. Then she showed me the other letter.
"I don't know who this one's from," she said.

فقال لي "أنت رجل صالح".
أولا، مع ذلك , كنت بحاجة لمقابلة الأميرة فلافيا مرة أخرى. فإذا لم أستطع أن أقول لها الحقيقة، يمكننى على الأقل أن أحذرحا بأن الوضع في روريتانيا ليس جيدا كما تعتقد فيه . وزرتها في قصرها في وقت لاحق من ذلك اليوم، وطلبت من خدمها أن يحضروا لي بعض القهوة. ثم أخبرتنى أنها قد تلقت رسالتين. احدهما من مايكل، الذى دعاها لزيارة زندا. ثم أظهرت  لي الرسالة الأخرى.
وقالت لي " أنا لا أعرف من بعث هذه الرسالة"،.


I immediately knew who it was from: the writing was the same as the letter I had received. It was from Antoinette de Mauban and it read:
"You do not know me, but I do not want you to fall into the power of the Duke. Do not accept any invitation from him and do not go anywhere without many guards. Show this letter, if you can, to the leader of Ruritania."
"Why does it say 'the leader' and not 'the King'?" she asked.
"You must do as the letter says," I said, not answering her question.

علمت على الفور من صاحب الرسالة: فنفس خط الكتابة كان مثل خط الرسالة التى تلقيتها منها, كانت من انطونيت دو موبان. وتقول في رسالتها
"أنت لا تعرفينني ، ولكن أنا لا أريد منك أن تقعي في قبضة الدوق. لا تقبلي أي دعوة منه ولا تذهبي لأي مكان دون حراس كثيرون . وبينى هذه لو إستطعتى الرسالة لقائد روريتانيا ".
تساءلت الأميرة "لماذا تقول 'قائد' وليس 'ملك'؟".
"يجب أن تفعلي كما تقوله الرسالة "، قلت دون أن أرد على سؤالها


"I'll order guards to watch you."
"Do you know who sent this?" she asked.
"A friend of mine. Today you must say you're ill so you can't go to Zenda."
"So you don't mind making Michael angry?" she asked.
"I don't mind anything if you're safe," I said.
I had an idea about who would be the best guard for Princess Flavia, and I immediately visited Marshal Strakencz, who I knew I could trust. I asked him to guard the Princess and not to allow any of the Duke's men to visit her. I told him I was worried about the Duke's ambitions, and he did not look surprised.
  ".
"سأطلب حراس لمراقبتك."
سألتني"هل تعرف من الذي أرسل هذه الرسالة؟".
"صديق لي، واليوم يجب أن تقولي أنك مريضة وبالتالي لا يمكنك الذهاب إلى زندا".
وسألت " إذن أنت لاتمانع فى إغضاب الدوق مايكل ؟".
قلت لها "أنا لا أمانع أي شيء ما دمت آمنة ".
وخطرت لى فكرة فيمن يكون أفضل حارس للأميرة فلافيا ، وعلى الفور قمت بزيارة ستراكنتش، الذي كنت أعرف أنني يمكنني أن أثق به  وطلبت منه حراسة الأميرة وألا يسمح لأي من رجال الدوق بزيارتها. وقلت له إنني قلقا بشأن طموحات الدوق، ولم يبدو عليه أنه إندهش . 


"I'm leaving Strelsau for a few days," I told him. "Every evening, I'll send you a message. If you don't get a message for three days, you have the authority to say that you are now the head of Strelsau. You must then ask the Duke to allow you to see the King. If he doesn't allow you to see the King in twenty-four hours, you must say that the King's dead. Then you must tell the people of Ruritania who their new ruler will be. You do know who that will be?"
"Princess Flavia, of course," he answered.

" أنني سأغادرالعاصمة سترلسو لبضعة أيام وكل مساء "، أخبرته " سوف أرسل لك رسالة، وإذا لم تصلك رسالة مني لمدة ثلاثة أيام، لديك السلطة أن تقول أنك الآن رئيس سترلسو.و يجب عليك أن تطلب من الدوق أن يسمح لك أن ترى الملك، وإذا لم يسمح لك أن ترى الملك خلال أربع وعشرين ساعة، يجب عليك أن تقول أن الملك قد مات، ثم يجب أن تخبر شعب روريتانيا من سيكون حاكمهم الجديد " أنت تعرف باتأكيد من سيكون ؟ "
فأجابني قائلا "الأميرة فلافيا، بالطبع ،".

6 التعليقات: